If you are a professional that has products or services you wish to sell, you already know how important trade shows are. Trade shows can help you get closer to your clients in a more personal way, and allow you to sell your products without putting too much pressure on them. People usually come to your particular booth because they are at least a tad interested in your product, so there is usually no need to push or pressure them. However, since potential customers are usually only at your booth for a short time, how you spend the time you do have with them is important. Trade shows are busy, and you will likely talk to dozens of people throughout the event, so you need to be prepared beforehand. Just how is this accomplished? Below are some tips that will help you prepare for your upcoming trade show or conference, so that the time you spend there will be valuable and productive.
Suggestions on How to Sell at a Trade Show
Selling at a trade show is a little different than selling via other methods. Below are some things to keep in mind when selling at trade shows. Using these tips on how to sell will help you be more successful during the trade show, and will help you make the most of the time you do have.
- Ask the customers a lot of questions in order to qualify or disqualify them quickly
- There is no need to put a lot of pressure on people, but don’t ‘soft-sell’ either; try to approach them and invite them to learn more within 60 seconds of their arrival
- Be engaging; be polite, greet them and pay attention to them so they will remain at your booth as long as possible
- Keep excellent records; make ‘lead cards’ and jot down information about every person you talk to
- Watch your manners; smile, talk to them and don’t let up until they are ready to leave
If you use this guide to help you sell at your next trade show, you should be successful at getting some excellent leads. Another tip is to make sure that you have everything you need regarding pamphlets and other informational items for the customers before you leave for the event. If you need to, consider hiring a large vehicle such as a box trailer, so that you have room for everything you will need for the conference. Box trailers like the ones offered by BlueLine Trailers and companies like it come in all sizes, both small and large, so it is easy to find the one that is right for you.
Being Prepared Is the Key
Great preparation is everything if you want to be successful at your next conference or trade show. Make a list, pack everything you will need ahead of time, and practise what to say to the attendees who will be visiting your booth. There is no such thing as too much preparation. Spend some time and effort getting ready for the event so that it can be a success.